Monday, March 22, 2010

Preparing for Conferences

Conference preparation is extremely important. That and guts. Those of you who know me know I'm not shy. This year I'm going to the DFW and OWFI Conferences. I know many of you are going to ACFW. The approach is always the same. Here's my recipe for success.
  1. Create a one page. Put a picture in the upper left hand corner that will capture an agent or editor's attention. Then, hit them with a back cover type hook and contact information. This should be the first thing you hand your interviewer at your appointment - also in elevators and at lunch tables, etc.
  2. Prepare a one minute hook on your book followed by a one minute hook on yourself. Why are you the author they need to work with?
  3. Research your interviewer! Know what they've published, what houses they've worked with, and where they come from. Tell them why you chose them.

Finally, don't be shy. You have one shot. Make it your best. Then shut up and be prepared to answer questions. Good Luck.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent, prep-tips. I never even considered the one page thing. So do you think telling the agent I am a reclusive bookish kind of guy who knows where he lives and owns a scatter gun is the right approach?